Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Halloween

On Saturday I attended my first ever zombie walk with the boys. Steve donned his Caeser costume with all 23 knives embedded and I opted for the rather unimaginative but not too labour intensive Wonder-Woman. I was amazed at the number of zombies, easily close to 1000 and the march commenced promptly at 2 in a very orderly manner. There were some very creative costumes, particularly a gaggle of "zombie golfers" one who had a golf ball embedded in his cheek the other a gal skewered through with a golf club. The weather was extraordinarily warm and clear. A beautiful fall day! After enjoying this event we headed home to greet the trick or treaters. We got a lot of kids, many of whom were a little long in the tooth for candy wrangling but never mind. Some great costumes particularly a gal with an absolutely incredible big bad Wolf which she had MADE! I LOVE homemade costumes!! Some friends popped over and we toddled down to the local community bonfire which was so beautiful with the full moon overhead. Steve and I are finding our allegiance is shifting from James Bay to Fairfield. Fairfield seems to have a genuine pleasing sense of community. Even our neighbors popped by with their little girl (about 2 trick or treat bag in tow) and introduced themselves. Very sweet!

We capped everything off with a movie. The boys opted for "Thirty Days of Night" which is a superbly atmospheric almost unbearably intense vampire thriller. A rare, smart script - beautiful visuals! This is one of those movies that came and went and nobody saw it which is a crying shame when you think of the success of horror movies such as the Saw franchise which are sadistic and actually awful. Then a work of art like this appears and nobody hears of it. Too bad, its got everything horror fans want and everything movie lovers like at the same time. A non-hokey script, terrifying suspense, an involving story etc.

Sunday the boys were saddled with terrible headcolds. Steve and I still managed to go to Goldstream Park to see the Salmon spawning. This spectacle never fails to awe me and I love the smell of those gorgeous huge cedar trees. We popped home and I made an Asiany easy dinner, pork tenderloin in hoisin sauce, steamed basmati rice and broccoli with sesame oil, ginger and chile.

In a nutshell it was a swell weekend. I continued to read David Gilmour's book. Its really moving and elucidates the bond between father and son without overdoing the sentiment. I used to think Gilmour was a bit of an asshole but I have revised my view. He writes with such tenderness and humanity. I look forward to devouring many more books this winter, and of course, more movies too!

No comments: