Thursday, April 30, 2009

Canoe pub

Last weekend after some serious retail therapy I needed to give my tootsies a rest and slake my thirst. Decided to head down to one of my fave watering holes, Canoe Pub.

I ordered a Pimm's cocktail, which is a deviation from my usual preferred brew. I was in the mood for something lighter. This unusual concoction of ginger beer, 7 up, orange, lemon and cucumber was refreshing and delicious - this is going to be my summer bevvy of choice, heavy addiction factor for you ginger lovers out there!

I was torn between ordering the Thai Beef salad or the Salmon confit salad and after much deliberation chose the latter. What I got was a gorgeous filet of olive oil poached bc salmon with oven dried tomatoes, fresh spinach leaves, potatoes, pancetta, tapenade and the whole thing was dressed with the most heavenly lemon vinagrette. The whole thing was healthy, visually appealing and wholeheartedly delicious. The portion size was moderate (though the salmon fillet was a very generous size). If you are really starving I'd suggest an appy also. I ended the meal with the Canoe brownie which had an appealing texture but wasn't quite as densely chocolatey as I prefer. Then again, I am very fussy about my brownie! It has to be fudgy, NOT cakey and it has to taste of dark chocolate. However the rasberry coulis drizzled over top of it was very yummy. Canoe also brews a delicious cup of java. My suggestion would be if you have lunch at Canoe and are still craving dessert after to head to Sweet Memories on Government and have one of their legendary ice cream cones.

Canoe pub is bright and airy with high ceilings and a fantastic outdoor patio. Prices are a little higher than the usual pub fare. My salad was 17 dollars but Canoe endeavors to source most of their ingredients from up island and this always wins brownie points with me! I think its worth the extra bucks. Service is always personable and friendly. Its a favorite hang out with me! Give it a try, their nachos and burgers are great and the mediterranean vegetable pizza is another fave.

No comments: