Friday, May 28, 2010

100 Demons - The Genius of Lynda Barry

http://home.earthlink.net/~copaceticcomicsco/100demons.html

  A few months ago I had the good fortune to hear a radio interview with artist/writer Lynda Barry.  I was intrigued  and low and behold Steve bought me a copy of one of her graphic novels when from the fabled "City Lights" bookstore in San Francisco (a book nerd's wet dream if there ever was one!)  Its tough to describe Barry's oeuvre and do it justice.  Matt Groening is a fan and this seems fitting given Barrie's drawing style is reminiscent of Groening's marvelous Life In Hell cartoons.  Barry's drawings are more detailed than Groening's and there is a daffy/delightful mix of images on every page.  Each story's opening page has nifty collage elements interspersed with the drawings - its a real treat for the eye.  Lynda Barry is also a novelist and the quality of her writing does not disappoint in the medium of the graphic novel.  There is such a potent mix of hilarity and sadness in this book - Barry must have a photographic memory of her childhood and she is so brave to recount many painful experiences, yet the universality of her observations makes this work life affirming rather than depressing.  This is one of the best books of any genre I have read in a long time and I strongly suggest that folks who are enthusiastic readers who normally eschew graphic novels give this a try.  This book is both poetic and profound and at times utterly hilarious.  I am going to seek out Barry's novels as well.  I am awed by the scope and range of her abilities.  Check this out if you can!

3 comments:

Marina said...

Hmmmm... I love what I see of her art on the cover... I might just have to look for this one. It sounds really good!

I love how you said that you have a groaning bookshelf and a bedside table covered in various books and publications... I have piles of stuff all over the place too! Just never enough time to read everything I'd like to read, though!

Steve Bailey (NEOS) said...

I was trying to remember exactly what Matt Groening used to call her in his comics so I googled "Lynda Barry Funk Queen" and came up with this page "http://twentyfivewords.blogspot.com/2006/06/funk-queen.html" (which just happens to come from the same Blogger site). Check out the poodle cartoon part way down the page.

Steve Bailey (NEOS) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.