Thursday, July 29, 2010

Film Comment - Noteworthy Movies of Late

I recently subscribed to Film Comment Magazine (though I have been a fan of the publication for years).  Film Comment has just the right mix of critical theory and craft of film making and the articles are wonderfully rich yet succinct.

Recently Film Comment featured a compilation of lists by different filmmakers of their favourite movies (the list was relegated to films made between 2000-2010).

This prompted me to look at some of the movies I have watched over the past year that I find noteworthy.  I don't want to do a "top ten" because invariably I'd omit things that are truly wonderful and I cannot bear to do that.  Instead here is a comprehensive list of films that made a distinct impression on me in recent months.


  1. The Runaways (indie)
  2. The White Ribbon (foreign/auteur)
  3. Precious based on the novel Push by Sapphire (indie)
  4. Let The Right One In (foreign/auteur)
  5. The Ghost Writer (Polanski)
  6. Antichrist (foreign/auteur)
  7. A Single Man (indie/foreign)
  8. A Serious Man (Coen Brothers)
  9. Invictus (Clint Eastwood)
  10. Young Victoria (indie/Britain)
  11. An Education (indie)
  12. Fantastic Mr. Fox (Wes Anderson)
  13. Lorna's Silence (Dardenne Brothers/foreign)
  14. Dead Snow (zombies!)
  15. Zombieland (zombies!)
  16. Bright Star (foreign/Jane Campion/auteur)
  17. The Bad Leiutenant, Port of Call New Orleans (Herzog)
  18. Gran Torino (Eastwood)
  19. Moon (Sci Fi, Duncan Bowie/auteur)

2 comments:

roygreenart said...

I liked an education alot...a serious man was good too...haven't seen moon or some of the others...looking forward to seeing a single man and greenberg..even tho i hated margo at the wedding...people seem to either love or hate inception...cheers rg

Marina said...

Oooh, as always I love your choice in film! I'm not into zombie myself, but I know you love it and I'm sure they're good... but I love the rest of the list and, believe it or not, haven't seen any of them! I just don't get to movies anymore... I eventually catch them on DVD or even TV. Thanks for this great information!